Waterproofing can protect your home from unexpected water seepage due to heavy weather conditions, such as thunderstorms.
Toronto weather can often catch you by surprise. Unexpected weather conditions can create a variety of plumbing problems for your home. If parts of your home are exposed to severe weather conditions it could have a damaging effect on your home’s base. Heavy rainfall or snowfall is typically absorbed by roots around your home which can alter the edges of your foundation, potentially causing costly damage repairs if they get worse. Luckily, there is a preventative method to stop harsh weather conditions from affecting your home. This method is known as waterproofing.
What is waterproofing?
Waterproofing protects areas of your home that are susceptible to unexpected weather conditions. Waterproofing can stop water from sneaking into your building, while also draining out water that may have already entered your home. This can prevent damages to the foundation of your home, saving you the worry and cost of severe water-based damages.
Is waterproofing worth the investment?
Water can sneak into a home without warning, especially after a heavy rainstorm or snowstorm. Once water enters your home, it can build mildew on your walls. Mildew can cause large amounts of problems such as causing the area to look bad, develop foul odours and affect the foundation of your home. The water seepage can also encourage the growth of fungi into your home. Fungi can deteriorate the walls and the foundation of your home, causing extensive and costly repairs. To counter this, waterproofing is the best method to stop water from unexpectedly entering your home.
What are the most common problems that waterproofing can prevent?
The most common problems that can be prevented by waterproofing are:
- When water seeps into your home, it can damage your foundation. The foundation of your home is built to withstand most of the toughest weather conditions, but it is far from invincible. Moisture from water seepage can travel through your foundation and cause cracks to build up in its surrounding falls. This can cause the materials of your home’s foundation to wear out. These cracks can also increase in severity with old construction and uneven ground.
- If you notice any damaged walls in your home, we recommend that you contact us as soon as possible. It is best to treat these walls with waterproofing to avoid the damages worsening.
Does your wall show signs of damage? Contact Plumbers Near Me for a solution.
Sump Pump Damage
- The sump pump is a device that can transport water away from a high quantity. The sump pump kicks into action whenever it detects a high volume of water falling a heavy rainfall. Sump pumps are installed mostly in basements but can face sump pump failure without effective waterproofing. Sump pumps failure repairs are costly repairs as they can cause foundation damages, a flooded basement and possession damages. Waterproofing on sump pumps can prevent it from malfunctioning and encourage effective water transportation.
- While a sump pump may only kick into action a couple of times per year, it sustains a significant amount of debris buildup. This buildup of debris is a common cause of sump pump failure. It is best to conduct consistent checkups and cleanouts of your sump pump to avoid sump pump failure. We recommend that you contact us and schedule a sump pump check up every 3-4 months. This can save you time and money by affecting a full sump pump repair.
- Through years of enduring heavy weather conditions, the materials of your roof can wear out. The roofing membrane, which holds the roof together, cannot withstand heavy weather conditions without protection or consistent maintenance. However, without these the membrane can experience damages leading to water seepage into your home. This water seepage can create mould, can form fungi or it can become a potential electrical hazard.
- If you suspect that your roof is damaged and could potentially experience water seepage, contact us as soon as possible.
Poor Drainage System
- Water can sneak into your home if it does not have an effective drainage system. When harsh weather conditions such as a heavy rainfall occur, your home is susceptible to water damage and flooding without a functioning drainage system.
- To maintain your drainage system, we recommend that you contact us. We will inspect, maintain and even repair your drainage system if required.
What are the most used waterproofing methods?
The most used waterproofing methods include:
Interior and Exterior Waterproofing
- Interior and exterior waterproofing are best to prevent water seepage from heavy weather conditions. These types of waterproofing focus on maintaining the structure of your walls. However, they will not only protect your home’s foundation, but they will also prevent the growth of mildew or fungi from entering your home. While they are similar, interior and exterior waterproofing differ in some key ways:
- Interior waterproofing focuses on controlling the water that has already entered into your home. To do this, interior waterproofing works with your drainage system by directing the excess water to the sump pump of your home. Some pipes may need to be installed between your drains to direct the water directly into your sump pump. However, this can prevent your home from experiencing any kind of water seepage and potential damages.
- On the other hand, exterior waterproofing focuses on preventing the entry of water into your home completely. The waterproofing is applied directly to the outside of your walls and this can limit any of the water from unexpectedly finding its way into your home. However, due to its process and long term effectiveness, this type of waterproofing is typically more costly over interior waterproofing.
- While both types of waterproofing are effective, exterior waterproofing is better in stopping water seepage before it even happens. This can give you more time to recognize the affected areas before the water tries to sneak into your home. Exterior waterproofing may be more costly, however it is the most effective in preventing severe leaks and damages. Interior waterproofing would be more suitable for minor damages from water that has already seeped into your home.
Interior waterproofing is best for minor leaks, while exterior waterproofing is best for preventing major leaks.
- Roof waterproofing is applied to the roofing membrane of your home. This type of waterproofing can protect your roof from water damage. It must be installed precisely, otherwise it will be inefficient when stopping water from seeping through. If you require roof waterproofing, our team at Plumbers Near Me will be happy to serve you!
- Brick waterproofing focuses on protecting areas that are exposed to water penetration. Substances such as moisture and damaged materials are protected through this method of waterproofing. This can prevent water seepage, mildew and fungi from entering your home
- If you require brick waterproofing, feel free to contact us. At Plumbers Near Me, we will provide the best possible service to waterproof your home!
Contact Us For Plumbing Issues
Licensed plumbers Toronto residents count on. As a plumbing technicians, we are here to protect your home and business, meanwhile saving your money for the long run.